Eeek! Summer is upon us, and I'm experiencing that last minute panic before swimsuit season officially hits this Memorial day weekend. I'm passing along some of my top 10 last minute summer slim tips!
Lisa's Top 10 Summer Slim Tips
- Drink Water - Yeah, I've said this a thousand times, but it bears repeating. Drink water until it comes out of your ears, or 8 glasses at 8 oz a shot, whichever comes first. It makes your body function better, and aids in the transport of toxins from your body. If you're an iPhone, iTouch user, get yourself a copy of the app 8 Glasses a Day, it makes tracking fun!
- Ice it Up - It's a medically proven fact that drinking colder drinks gives your body's resistence something to fight, thereby expending more energy (translation: calories). Fill those 8 glasses of water I just mentioned with plenty of ice this summer - who can't use some bonus burn?
- Keep it Flat - Your drinks that is! Carbonated beverages are notorious for bloat. If you want to keep your tummy flat, stick with a glass filled with water, iced tea, or low calorie fruit juice.
- Popsicles are Hot - At only 40 calories a piece, you can't go wrong with these kiddie treats. They're relatively inexpensive at your supermarket frozen section, and you have your choice of cherry, grape or organge, all at only 40 calories each.
- Veggies are Righteous - Whether it's a salad, grilled vegetables, fill your plate! Summer is the season for fresh vegetables, and you can eat until you're full. Keep it simple though, keep your eyes peeled when it comes to dressings and sauces. Grilling veggies in a bit of olive oil, or making your own light salad dressings will give you results.
- No, Thank You - Put it into your vernacular and you'll see results. A friend recently said to me that it's easy for me to wear cute clothes because I'm so skinny. To which I replied, it's all in the "no" - how. The more you do it, the easier it gets, and the prouder you'll become of your strength and resistance!
- Breakfast is a Priority - Think about what you're going to eat for breakfast ahead of time, and plan out your week. I have a breakfast mix of 1/4 cup multigrain Cheerios, 1/4 cup granola and a handful of raisins which comes out to approximately 130 calories per bowl (before 1/2 cup of skim milk which brings the count up to approximately 175 calories).
- Get Out - Find ways to get outside to enjoy the fresh air and outdoor activities. I love to take my kids for miniature golf, and we get a kick out of croquet. If it's tennis, beach volleyball or running on the beach, find a way to get out and get active!
- Fiber it Up - Studies show that getting your daily required amounts of fiber serves to not only aid in losing weight, but may help in the prevention of weight gain. Keep your eye on the nutritional contents of what you eat to make sure you're consuming the recommended daily requirements of fiber.
- Ditch the Salt - Sodium has a tendency to make our bodies retain fluids. Do your best to avoid salty snacks or sodium laden foods (condensed soups, cured meats, many processed foods).