I wish to thank my friends at Thoughts Fur Paws for awarding Petopia with an Honest Scrap Award. Instead of a goody bag filled with bling and a statuette, this award comes with duties. It is my responsibility to do the following:
“When accepting this auspicious award, you must write a post bragging about it, including the name of the misguided soul who thinks you deserve such acclaim, and link back to said person so everyone knows he or she is real. Choose a minimum of seven (7) blogs that you find brilliant in content or design. Or improvise by including bloggers who have no idea who you are because you don’t have seven (7) friends. Show the seven (7) random victims’ names and links and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with “Honest Weblog.” Well, there’s no prize, really, but they can keep the nifty icon. Next, in your blog, list at least ten (10) honest things about yourself. Then, pass it on!”
Here's a list of ten things about me and my pet:
- We were adopted by our cat about 18 years ago. She appeared on our deck out of nowhere and dropped a dead bird at my husband's feet. When it became clear that she wasn't just passing through, that she had no home, she became a part of our family.
- I love to walk, tried taking kitty with me a few times. Gave up when it became clear that she just wasn't enjoying the experience.
- Our cat is named Hermione Roane Harris -- coincidentally her monogram is HRH, as in Her Royal Highness. A very fitting title.
- HRH has her own personal stationery that she uses for thank you notes. Sometimes we have to leave her behind when we travel. She always writes a note to thank her host.
- I have been taught, by HRH, that "Dogs Have Owners, Cats Have Staff."
- Whereas HRH used to be content with just cat food twice a day she now demands being fed every 3 to 4 hours (4am is a favorite feeding time) and some of the meals must be home-cooked dishes.
- She may be elderly, but kitty has kept her girlish figure -- there's only the slightest hint of a sagging tummy.
- She may look like a kid, but she walks like an elderly kitty with very stiff rear legs. This accounts for her inability to jump any height and the necessity for the little staircase placed next to our bed.
- Our aging kitty prefers to nap more and groom less. So I have to periodically bathe her now. Thankfully she has lost most of her youthful feistiness and she doesn't have the energy to shred my arms.
- Our kitty is a treasured member of our family and sometimes, when I consider her age, I contemplate how much she will be missed someday. Then I always give her an extra hug and kiss.
My victims awardees are as follows. Here are 7 other bloggers who I'd like to bestow with the Honest Scrap Award:
- Celebrate Your Pet! is written by Canadian Lisa Taron, award-winning illustrator and business woman who loves to see people celebrating their pets.
- How many cats have their own gallery exhibit? Cooper, Cat Photographer, has an exhibit and a long list of press credits. Here's a cat that knows how to create buzz.
- If you've ever wondered about life on a Missouri farm and caring for sheep, chickens, dogs, cats, and more you will enjoy reading the Farmgirl Fare blog. Farm girl Susan is really a food writer but she also posts charming photos and stories of her animals.
- ZooBorns brings you the newest and cutest exotic animal babies from zoos and aquariums around the world.
- Paws and Effect offers advice by cats, for cats and their people.
- Teachings of the Horse encourages you to discover your "inner horse" wisdom.
- What's it like being an agility dog? Read The Days of Johann.
Does anyone know who started this award? I was not able to find out by searching. Who set up these rules and created the award graphic? Come, reveal yourself by leaving a message here. We're all curious.
As honored as I am (really!) the next time I'd like a goody bag -- or at least the opportunity of giving an acceptance speech. . .