1. Stay on top of preventative care. Just as with people, staying on top of wellness with preventative car is very important to your pet's health and longevity.
2. When faced with an expensive procedure ask your vet about all of the alternatives.
3. Shop around.
4. Ask if your vet can match the lowest online price for medicines that prevent parasites (fleas, ticks and heartworms)
5. Keep your dogs ears and teeth clean
6. Watch what they eat.
7. Finally ask your vet if he or she gives a discount to seniors or to AARP members.