Exercise can be a frustrating process, but it's a necessary evil in the battle for weight loss and maintaining a healthy life style. Finding activities you enjoy is critical, but what activities will result in the most efficient calorie burn? I've tried it all. Going to the gym, home videos, jogging; for me finding the right exercise involved a great deal of trial and error. In the end, having someone behind me, pushing me all the way has yielded the best results. My Sensei acts as a personal trainer, pushing me to perform at my maximum capacity. Martial arts isn't for everyone, but I found out for myself that there were several popular options that just weren't returning results for me. Don't be afraid of trying different things. When you find the right activity, it's like a marriage made in heaven! For me, the martial arts fills my need to be part of a supportive community, learning and progression, and pushing myself to the limit.
Still uncertain as to the best option for yourself? Here'a s top 10 list from the Mayo clinic to get the ball rolling. Knowing the calories burned by some of the top exercises can help you design the most effective workout regimen for your fitness and weight-loss goals. The top 10 calorie-burning activities are listed below. Mix up your workouts and give a different mode of exercise a try – not only will the variety help you burn calories but it will keep you motivated to keep working out.
THE BIGGEST BURNERS
Calories burned per hour*
Based on a 160-pound person
- 986 calories burned: Running at 8mph
- 913 calories burned: Rollerblading
- 730 calories burned: Tae Kwon Do
- 730 calories burned: Jump rope
- 657 calories burned: Stair treadmill
- 584 calories burned: Jogging at 5mph
- 511 calories burned: Backpacking
- 511 calories burned: Racquetball
- 511 calories burned: Cross-country skiing
- 511 calories burned: High-impact aerobics
* Values from the Mayo Clinic Exercise for Weight Loss chart