Although I've had them on a number of occasions, it wasn't until recently that it dawned on me that multi-hued Twizzlers corresponded closely to the colors of the Gay Pride rainbow flag. And after doing research on the topic of candy, I came to the conclusion that this line extension of Twizzlers licorice makes it the most gay-friendly candy on the market. (I also learned that a "twizzler" is an urban term for a homosexual.) Although they've been sold for a number of years, rainbow Twizzlers have somehow managed to escape the wrath of anti-gay groups.
And here are the other contenders for the "Gay-Friendly" title:
- Good & Fruity - Like rainbow colored Twizzlers, another line extension, this one of Good'n Plenty. Its name and hot pink-colored box make it a no-brainer.
- Pixie Sticks - It goes without saying, doesn't it? Lik-A-Maid falls into the same category, i.e. "tongue candies". Perhaps in an attempt to de-sexualize it, the candy has been renamed Lik-M-Maid.
- Long Boys - Need I explain?
- Whoppers - What else could it be referring to? "Low Hangers" was another possible brand name, but it didn't test as well with consumers.
- Ike & Mike - There's no truth to the rumor that the candy was originally called Bruce & Jason.
- Candy Necklaces/Buttons - With our innate sense of fashion, many of us were no doubt drawn to this confection as children.
- Big Hunk - Despite its name it isn't a steroid-infused chocolate bar. Rather, it's roasted peanuts covered in honey-sweetened nougat.
- And we finish with Nips. I think the following product description from the brand's website perfectly captures how enticing nips can be:
For people who need a break from life's little irritations, NIPS® is the rich and creamy hard candy that provides a soothing diversion. Each NIPS candy has its own distinct and truly satisfying flavor. This hard candy is known for its smooth, creamy texture and bite-size eat with an unmistakable hint or "nip" of flavor – hence the name "NIPS".
There it is, an ode to the nipple. A soothing "diversion" indeed.