According to Nielsen 62% of the viewers to 2020's Academy Awards telecast were women, so since the Oscars are considered the gay Super Bowl should I infer that the remaining 38% were gay men? The rating for the telecast dropped 20% from last year (6 million fewer viewers). Perhaps it was due to the alienation of two viewing groups - those who were upset over the under representation of women and blacks in key awards categories, and those who become tired of the constant harping about thise under representation.
Besides a dearth of women and blacks in the major awards categories, the same absence seem to apply to those of the LGBTQ persuasion. Unlike the previous three years (when we had Green Mile; Bohemian Rhapsody; The Favourite; Call Me By Your Name; and Moonlight), there were no Best Picture nominations with gay themes. Furthermore, there weren't a lot of gay "moments" in general during the telecast. So what gay moments were there?
- Janelle Monae shouting out that she's queer
- Elton John performing and winning Best Original Song
- A Verizon Wireless commercial with a coming out theme
- Billy Porter in all his fabulosity
- Judy, the movie about Judy Garland, won the Oscar for Best Actress
And now for some highlights/observations:
- As Janelle Monae made her on-stage entrance at the start of the show, she noticed that the middle button on her blouse had come undone and buttoned it as she sang without giving it a second thought.
- Mindy Kaling and Kristen Anderson-Lopez stood out in their vibrantly colored gowns in yellow and green.
- Bradley Cooper usually attends the event with his mother so I was curious about the fellow sitting next to him, but was unable to find any mention of him in news reports the next day. It seems the only Bradley Cooper chatter was about him being in the presence of his ex, Renee Zellweger.
- I chuckled when I saw Diane Keaton's coat because it was similar to a lost glove I spotted on a fence in my neighborhood a few weeks ago.
- Timothee Chalamet "owned" his offbeat formal wear.
- Taika Waititi, winner of Best Adapted Screenplay for Jo Jo Rabbit got my Oscar for Sexiest Man On Stage, with Oscar Isaac a close second, and Mahershala Ali third.
- Disney chairman Bob Iger was in the audience, but may have been upstaged by another attendee, Amazon's Jeff Bezos. (However, Iger's seat was much farther forward.)
- Did anyone else think that female conductor, Eimear Noone, bore a striking resemblance to actress Leslie Mann?
- A touching commercial from Verizon Wireless aired in the middle of the telecast. It featured a young guy who said that he couldn't talk about his homosexuality face to face with his family, but after moving to New York his mother signed the family up for Group Chat, and now the things they couldn't say to each other in person were a lot easier to say when sent in a text. He closed his story with, "I've never lived further away from my family, but I've never felt more connected to them."
- It was ironic that the best thing about the movie Rocketman, the performance of the actor who portrayed Elton John (Taron Egerton), was overlooked for an Oscar nomination, yet its bland song won the Oscar for Best Original Song for Elton John and Bernie Taupin.
- Last week I was enthralled by the stunning 50-year-old J-Lo as she performed her physically demanding halftime routine at the Super Bowl, and a week later 82-year old Jane Fonda looked equally stunning as she closed out the ceremonies. But why did she bring her coat with her - was coat check full?
Now, some final comments ...
- King & Queen of the prom.
- Regal ...
- Elton must have had a spare pair of eyeglasses.
- Where have you gone, Dolores Claiborne?
- The most touching moment of the night was actress Diane Ladd's reaction upon hearing the name of her daughter, Laura Dern, as winner of Best Supporting Actress.
- Greta Gerwig vied with Mindy Kaling for most exquisite necklace.
- And lastly, as Salma Hayek so amusingly put it, she finally got to hold an Oscar on onstage.