According to the Italian Superstitions website Italyville.com here are a few:
- Never lay a loaf of bread upside down…. since bread is the body of Christ, it’s disrespectful (to leave Jesus on his head that is)
- Follow that up with never stick a knife into a loaf of bread… which obviously doesn’t include cutting it.
- Never cross arms when shaking hands in a group or toasting in a group… bad luck.
- Never toast with a glass of water.
- Always look into the other person’s eyes when toasting…. 7 years bad sex.
- The dreaded owl! Owls are bad luck.
- The number 17…. not good. My brother was going to get married on the 17th… my mother put a stop to that.
- I also remember that I’m not supposed to trim my nails on Thursday for some reason but I can’t remember why.
- Spilling wine at the dinner table can be easily remedied by dabbing a little of the spilled wine behind each ear.
Check and see if your favorite superstition is among these reference guides: Superstition Guides