November 2019 was the 31st coldest November and 32nd driest (going back to 1869). It tied November 2012 as coldest November of this century. Nine days had lows of 32° or colder, the most since 2013 and well above the 21st century average of three. Looking at precipitation, the first 17 days of the month had just 0.25" of rain. 1.95" was measured for the entire month (more than two inches below average), with much of the rain concentrated during the seven days between 11/18-24. Despite the cold temperatures no snow fell. Other interesting aspects:
- The 11-day period between 11/8-18 was ten degrees below average (six days had mean temperatures that were 10-20 degrees below average). The month's other nineteen days had temperatures that were close to average, resulting in the month being 3.8 degrees colder than average overall (its average low was 4.5 degrees below average). This was the most below average of any month since March 2015 (-4.4 degrees).
- Half of the Novembers that were colder than Nov. 2019 occurred in the 19th century (1869-1899). Looking at the past 100 years Nov. 2019 tied for ninth coldest.
- The mildest reading of the month was 71° in the early hours of 11/1; the coldest reading was 23° on 11/13. That reading was a record for the date and followed a record low of 25° the day before that.
- Since 1970 November's mildest reading has averaged 71°, which was the same as this November. However, the second mildest reading has averaged 69°, but this year's was only 62°, which was the chilliest second mildest reading since November 1977.
- Gusty winds on Thanksgiving Day somewhat marred Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Up until a few hours before the parade started it was uncertain whether its famous balloons would be permitted to float high above the streets of Midtown Manhattan, but it was decided to let them participate at a much lower height than usual. Wind was the only issue as temperatures were at seasonable levels and there was no rain.
- On 11/13 the relative humidity at mid-day fell to an exceptionally low 13%, the lowest humidity reported in November in the years of the 21st century. It was also the only date outside of March and April with a humidity level this low.
- Last November, 3.3 degrees colder than average, seemed more wintry than this November because it featured a 6.4" snowstorm and had one of the coldest readings ever reported in November, 15°. It also was one of the wettest Novembers. While its average high was 0.9 degree colder than this November, it's average low was 1.9 degrees milder. Like Nov. 2019, the equally cold Nov. 2012 was dry (1.81"). However, a big difference was that Nov. 2012 had a snowfall of 4.7" on 11/7-8 (the earliest accumulation of four inches or more).
Other November recaps: