November 2020 was 5.2 degrees warmer than average and became the warmest November on record, supplanting November 2015 by 0.2 degrees. Sixteen days had highs in the 60s or 70s (one fewer than the 1931 record). What stood out was a streak of six days with highs in the 70s from Nov. 6-11, the longest streak of its kind to occur in November. (And the seven days between Nov. 4-10 had clear or mostly sunny skies.) Conditions on Thanksgiving Day were noteworthy as well. Although the high of 65° wasn't the warmest on record (it tied for third warmest), its low of 55° was. (Just two years ago Thanksgiving Day had a high/low of 28°/17°.) It was also the seventh rainiest Thanksgiving, with 0.79" falling in the morning. What follows are a few other observations:
- Typically, November is 5.4 degrees cooler than April. This year, however, it was 2.4 degrees milder and became just the tenth November to be milder than April. (Nov. 1975 was warmer than April by the greatest margin, +4.4 degrees.)
- The eight-day period between Nov. 5-12 was 14 degrees above average. The rest of the month was two degrees above average. These 22 days included four days that were ten or more degrees above average, and two other days that were ten or more below average. Overall, the month had nineteen days that were five or more degrees above average.
- At 3.99", the month's rainfall was an average amount, and that was thanks to a rainstorm that brought 0.98" on the last day of the month. It was also the month's biggest rainstorm. This storm was accompanied by gusty winds. The peak gust was 35 mph, which was the seventh day of the month to report a peak gust of 30 mph or greater (the area's three major airports, LGA, JFK and EWR had gusts of 30 mph+ on ten, twelve and nine days, respectively, and their peak gusts were much higher).
- The three warmest Novembers have all occurred in the 21st century, as well as half of the ten warmest, and half of the top 12.
- Despite being the warmest November on record, this November is tied with Nov. 2011 for warmest average high and tied for fourth mildest average low. Additionally, Nov. 2020 had two days with sub-freezing low temperatures (both were 30°) while half of the ten mildest Novembers had coldest readings that were above freezing.
- Besides this November, Nov. 1994 and Nov. 1975 also had six days in the 70s (but they weren't consecutive). But they rank second behind Nov. 1953, which had seven such days.
Here are five previous November recaps: